Destination New York
Destination New York
Paired with Fleur de Lis Pinot Gris
1/3 C Canola Oil
5 Large Eggs, Beaten
1 tsp salt
2/3 C Water
1 drop yellow food coloring
1 # AP Flour
6 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes, Peeled, cooked, and mashed or grinded
¼ C butter
1 # Onions
2 Large Eggs, Beaten
1 Cube Chicken Bouillon, ground into dust
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- To make the knish dough, mix the oil, eggs, salt, water and food coloring. Add flour until a rollable dough is achieved.
- Divide dough, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Prepare potato mixture by mixing all ingredients together.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough to ¼ “ thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into squares, and brush with 1 beaten egg with 1 teaspoon of water. Place potato mixture in center and fold and press together.
- Place on a parchment lined baking pan and brush with egg wash. Cook until golden brown on top and bottom. Serve warm. Can also have meat added.
Paired with Elk River Riesling
Yields 4 servings
½ C Walnut Halves
½ C Plain Yogurt
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp minced flat leaf parsley
1 tsp Honey
½ Lemon Zest, finely grated
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
2 Large Crisp Apples, of choice
2 Ribs Celery w/ leaves, sliced into ½” thick pieces, leaves chopped
¼ C Golden Raisins
½ Lemon, juiced
1 head Boston Lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, spread nuts on baking sheet, toast for 8-10 minutes. Cool and break into pieces.
- Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, honey, and lemon zest in a large bowl and season generously with pepper.
- Halve, core and cut the apples into ¾ “ pieces, leaving the skin on. Add the apples, celery and raisins to the bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Toss with dressing. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, toss walnuts into salad, arrange on lettuce leaves.
Manhattan Clam Chowder
Paired with True North
Yields 4 servings
2 Slices Bacon, cut into ½ “ squares
1/3 C chopped Onions
3 Tbsp diced Green Pepper
3 Tbsp diced Celery
2/3 C diced peeled Potato
1 8oz Clam Juice
1 C canned diced tomato, including juice
1 ½ dozen small hard shelled clams(1 ½ to 2” in diameter; 2 # total), scrubbed well
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf Parsley
- Cook bacon in a 2-3 quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat stirring until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderately low, then add onions, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potato, clam juice, and tomatoes(with juice) and simmer covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in clams and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until clams are open wide, 8-10 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened) Remove pan from heat.
- Remove most of the clamshells with tongs, then detach clams and return them to chowder. (Keep a few in their shells for garnish)
- Stir in parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
Paired with Charterboat Chick’s Cab Sauvignon
Serves 6 servings
3 # Lobster Meat
½ stick (¼ cup) Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Marsala
3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp Brandy
1 ½ C Heavy Cream
¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
Cayenne pepper to taste
4 Large Egg Yolks, beaten well
Toast points as an accompaniment
- Cut Lobster meat into ½” pieces.
- In a heavy saucepan cook lobster meat in the butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Sherry and 3 Tbsp of the Brandy and cook mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the lobster meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add the cream to the Sherry mixture and boil the mixture until it is reduced to about 1 cup.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the remaining 1 tsp Sherry, the remaining 1 tsp Brandy, the nutmeg, the cayenne pepper, and salt to taste.
- Whisk in the yolks, cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 140 degrees, and cook it 3 minutes more.
- Stir in lobster meat and serve over butter toast points.
New York Style Cheesecake
Paired with Message in a Bottle
32 oz Cream Cheese
16 oz Sour Cream
¼ # Unsalted Butter
2 C Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- Place all ingredients on counter and leave there until they get room temperature.
- In a mixer, or large mixing bowl, cream-cream cheese and sugar and butter.
- Add sour cream, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Beat eggs one at a time and add to mixture.
- Baking in a spring form pan, in a water bath at 350 degrees until firm.
- Turn off oven and leave cake in for 1 hour with door open.
- Take out, and leave on countertop for 2 hours.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.